Site Admin

Loch Garten, Scotland 2011

Viesti Kirjoittaja LcAdmin »

Please begin your 2011 posts here!

Kuva
Annie

Viesti Kirjoittaja Annie »

Happy New Year - 2011
..........and all the very best to you all, for the year ahead.

Let’s not forget about ospreys of course. As I ramble on here about other matters, Jayne is running a check on the latest data available on Rothes’ whereabouts, and has just given me the latest news – and guess what? Rothes is still on Ilha de Unhocomozinho in the Bijagos Islands off Guinea Bissau. The countdown now begins though, for the osprey season ahead and all the intrigue it will bring. Has Rothes become so comfortable with her life in the sun, that she’ll opt to remain where she is? Or will she make a partial migration north perhaps, to the Mediterranean? Or further? Time will tell.

Posted by richard thaxton at 10:29 on 6 January 2011.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/ ... -2011.aspx
Annie

:smilie_wet_150:

Well it’s March now and the osprey season looms. Which ospreys will come back? How will the season unfold? It’s time to strap yourselves in for the journey ahead. It could all go smoothly, it could get a bit bumpy at times or we could hit major turbulence. Whatever the outcome, I'm sure it’ll prove exciting and intriguing.

Preparations have begun, in the run up to opening the Osprey Centre on 1st April.

Firstly though, let me introduce you to Osprey Team 2011.

The cameras will be installed towards the end of March, with live images from the nest enabling you to anticipate the osprey’s arrival.

Posted by richard thaxton at 9:07 on 2 March 2011.

:treehug:
Annie

:confetti:
From blog/ Loch Garten osprey diary Posted by Caroline Rance at 12:53 on 8 March 2011.

The countdown is on!

Just over 3 weeks to go now before the Osprey Centre opens its doors for another season, has it really been 6 months?!
I remember so clearly standing in the Osprey Centre on a lovely sunny day in August watching the two remaining juveniles sitting in the camera tree, their eldest sibling already having left on migration. One of the youngsters flew up from his perch and started to spiral higher and higher, riding up on the thermals until he was just a tiny dot in the sky, and then... gone. Little did I realise at the time, that that was the last moment I would see him. It feels like just yesterday, yet I wonder what has happened to our ospreys over the winter months. Did all of our youngsters find their way to Africa?

2010 was such a great season and I, like many of you I’m sure, felt so privileged to be able to watch the nest at such close quarters – watching EJ prepare the nest and lay her eggs, watching the chicks hatch out, and see them grow and learn to fly. There were tears and cheers, heart wrenching moments and heart lifting moments... I can’t quite believe that in a few week’s time it is all going to start again!
Meantime, Rothes remains on Ilha de Unhocomozinho, off Guinea Bissau. No sign of her moving... yet.

Annie

The Camera is on!

Kuva

Wellcome the Ospreys!

... and most of all to here we are waiting for the female and the male of this nest; EJ and Odin.
Annie

robbo kirjoitti:A male Osprey has returned today to one of the monitored UK nest sites, this bird at the Glaslyn site in North Wales is believed to be the resident male, so it could be anytime soon for the both the loch of the Lowes or loch Garten birds, some UK Ospreys have arrived very early this year

:eagle: :eagle:
That's wonderful, robbo. I read that the male of Glaslyn had arrived five days earlier than usual, so female EJ might come back on 21'st already! Exciteing to see, how it goes, what will be the weather conditions in the future.
:hanger: :smilie_wet_150:
Annie

About spring migration timing... just read, Alan Petrie had counted how many days different ospreys had used to it:

Regarding how long it takes for the spring migration. I checked the tracked birds and the fastest was Red8T with 14 days and the slowest was Beatrice with 34 days. It all depends on the weather and if they normally have a stopover. Different birds have different strategies.

Thank you, Alan Petrie!
:smiley2085: :slap: :tantrum: .... wellcome all! :confetti: :smilie_wet_150: :eagle: :eagle: :eagle:
Annie

Kuva Morning has broken...

and a new blog/Loch Garten osprey diary is available :
Annie

Good Morning's Sun ~ When would it be?

Kuva :treehug: Kuva

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/groups ... spx#253790 ~Thanks Tiger!
robbo

Viesti Kirjoittaja robbo »

A nice male crossbill on the nest but no Osprey

Kuva
robbo

Viesti Kirjoittaja robbo »

female Osprey on the garten nest but i dont know if its EJ the resident garten female

Kuva
Annie

:smilie_wet_150: WOW!!! She is already at her Nest. Welcome EJ! :hanger2:

Kuva Kuva

... and having a some good fish, and looking around - she surely loves what she see!
Millan

Viesti Kirjoittaja Millan »

That is great, welcome EJ! :smilie_wet_150:
Marita...sääksikummitäti
Annie

Video by Teresa
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTYVBaqXGEI[/youtube]
Annie

Colour ring of EJ is White with black EJ.

Think this osprey is wearing that ring and she is acting like EJ, that she have to be an unknown twin sister of EJ, if isn't her self. Or what you think?
Lukittu